DESIGN FOR THE HOME. PHOTOGRAPHY. LOVE. INSPIRATION AND FOOLISHNESS.

Monday, December 3, 2012

Not-So-Mellow Yellow

"Freedom lies in being bold."
Robert Frost
 
 
We have a living room. It is virtually empty. It is was waiting for me to have an epiphany about the accent color I would use. (I kind of always knew it would be yellow). I envisioned Oranges, greens, chartreuses, magentas. Nothing really did it. It actually hit me when I least expected it. I was in Target. I saw it. IT. The yellow basket weave pillow that was so bold, so pretty and so going in my house. I didn't get it right then. I kept thinking about it. I went back. It was gone. The end.
Actually, just the beginning. It energized me. It was egg yolk yellow. It was committed, and I was committed. We looked it up online and thankfully the Target in Horseheads (parents home base) has it, so I must wait, but my motivation...she charges on.
 
Here is the piano chair that needed a lift :
 
BEFORE
This was originally the head chair of my Aunt's dining table.
It had been painted, reupholstered, batted, painted, reupholstered and then again.


I used spray paint, although I don't really recommend it. It always takes at least 2 cans, and you have to have a steady hand or else you will have to spot sand, which I did.


I found this on the bottom of the seat. I guess someone took the tag very seriously.

I used a pillow cover with a broken zipper for the cushion. It's perfect - black, white and bold.
The fabric is soft enough that I can tug it a little one way or the other to make the lines straight. (This is pre-final touches)
AFTER
It will be positioned behind the piano and make the corner happy. And for now, will be the little bit of egg yolk yellow that will soon be overkill beautifully accented all over this room.

 


2 comments:

  1. You did a great job! The change is amazing. I love the yellow paint and black and white fabric. I didn't like when the chair was silver but now it's really perfect :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I love it so much more now too!!

    ReplyDelete